Training and recognising 5,000 outstanding teachers of primary / elementary schools across India during
2016 - 17.
THE TEACHER SUPPORT PROGRAM
Our aim is to improve the professional abilities and performance of teachers in selected primary/elementary schools through better training and use of modern
teaching aids, so as to enhance the learning outcomes of students.
ACTIVITIES UNDER THE PROGRAM
A. Training/ Re Training of Teachers :
Teacher training is the main focus of the entire Teacher Support vertical. The role of teachers in shaping the minds of the youth is undeniable. Teachers from government schools undergo pre service as well as in service training during their career. However, apart from this, regular workshops, seminars and training should be encouraged to enhance the capabilities of a teacher. There are various institutions that specialize in training teachers. Rotary India Literacy Mission’s Teacher Training program focuses on providing such facility to the government schools and government aided schools across India by collaborating with institutions that specialize in this.
Program Implementation :
- Identify primary or elementary government/government aided schools requesting them to participate.
- Arrange for interactive workshops may focus on effective innovative teaching methodology such as activity-based participative learning, e-learning, classroom management etc.
- Encourage teachers to discuss the problems they face in teaching and collectively arrive at innovative solutions to improve the teaching-learning experience.
B. Nation Builder Awards :
One major component of the Teacher Support program is recognising outstanding teachers through the “Nation Builder Award”. Recognizing outstanding teachers instills them with renewed confidence and encourages them to perform better. It also gives an idea about the less effective teachers in the surveyed schools, who are later helped with training sessions and workshops to enhance their performance.
- Understand the evaluation process by downloading the three forms from the resources section in the Member Zone of the website.
- Identify a government school and seek consent from School Authority to conduct the evaluation.
- The Principal/ Head Teacher and 10 students from each school to participate in the evaluation process.
- Conduct Evaluation with NB 1.1 and NB 2.1 forms.
- The evaluation process should be anonymous.
- Compilation of marks in NB 3.1 / Online calculation.
- Felicitating the outstanding teacher with certificates on Teachers' Day, 5th September.
- Upload project details on RILM website.
- Involve the less effective teachers in training workshops to enhance their competency.
C. Supplemental Teaching in Schools :
Often in Government/Government-Aided schools there is a severe dearth of teachers,as a result of which one teacher has to teach a number of subjects in which s/he is not specialized. This not only becomes hectic for the teacher but also the quality of education is compromised. The best possible solution to this is providing supplemental education in schools through volunteers.
- Select a Government/Government-aided primary or elementary school and speak to the Prinicipal to determine whether the school requires volunteer teachers to give extra classes to students of various classes, to improve their academic performance.
- Volunteer teacher should have a minimum educational qualification commensurate to the class s/he is teaching and be ready to provide the services for minimum 15 days.
- Once volunteers are finalized, the Rotary Club may introduce him/her to the Head Teacher
- Ensure that the volunteer teacher receives some orientation about the requirements of the students from the teachers and also from the School Management Committee.
- The volunteer teacher may be encouraged to submit a report periodiocally to showcase his/her teaching experience.
ACHIEVEMENTSUnder the Teacher Support program 15,099 teachers have been trained and 7,329 teachers have been recognized with the Nation Builder Awards.
For any queries write to email@example.com